Wednesday, November 11, 2009

How I Live



I lack nothing in my living arrangements. I occupy a private suite (above bottom) with everything I could ask for: four solid concrete walls, a (almost) watertight roof, a door and a window. At about 15’x15’ it is as much as a single person could use in a day. Inside one can find my bed, a small bookshelf, a desk, and an armoire.

In addition, I am blessed to have my own bathing facility (above top). This is housed in a concrete structure about 5’x10’ on the opposite end of my courtyard. One half is a shower that spouts out refreshingly cool water while the other half is a lavatory (this in the traditional form of a “squat pot”).


Both my bathroom and bedroom are under 24-hour surveillance compliments of two guard dogs that inhabit the courtyard, Puppy and Denver. The sole intruders I have encountered (and that frequently) require four or more legs to move.


A pleasant 5-minute ramble brings me to my kitchen where I have the pleasure of cooking and dining with Alexandria, my fellow student missionary. In this kitchen I have learned to cook several of the Guinean sauces and other delicacies, which I am still mastering. Adjoining the kitchen is Alexandria’s bedroom and the classroom where I teach. Many days at around noon I sit at my desk in the classroom, my mouth watering and a mind in the next room…

It is no mystery why I am satisfied with my accommodations. I am blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment