Friday, November 27, 2009

Thanksgiving in Guinea



Thanksgiving Day was very much anticipated and enjoyed considerably. The Thanksgiving holiday is quite a different experience in Guinea. No turkeys, no pilgrims, no pumpkins, no fall colors, no sales, no advertisements. The Coleman’s, Alexandria and I decided to begin the day with a special breakfast. So at 6:00am we got together to start cooking pancakes and waffles and our special pineapple sauce to replace the syrup we were lacking.

After breakfast a group of us went for a walk down to the river. In the picture above is (from left to right) Alexandria, Becca, Emmanuel, myself and Fred. After the hike we returned to the house to start cooking once again. I was in charge of preparing a vegetable platter and 6 kilos (over 13 pounds!) of mashed potatoes. The picture above shows Patricia looking over the table of food.

It really didn’t feel like Thanksgiving at all until I filled my plate. Thanksgiving dinner was delicious – and completely vegan! Auntie Cathy is a great cook and really knows how to prepare food with the limits of what is available in Guinea, and vegan on top of that.




I have so much to be thankful for. Thanksgiving was a great reminder of the many blessings I have received from God.

5 comments:

  1. Glad you had a wonderful day! We all do have lots to be thankful for no matter what!

    For my thanksgiving post, I tagged your blog on my post for the Kreativ Blogger Award. Grab it here:
    http://mitacha.blogspot.com/2009/11/its-time-to-give-thanks.html

    Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey chis! Kishah tagged my blog on her her post for the kreativ blogger award also. Strange that I would meet up with you randomly on the internet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Thanksgiving Chris! Glad yours was enjoyable :) thinking and praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Christy and Kishah!

    So Joel, how do you know Kishah?! Or do you? Hope things are going well for you. See you in May.

    ReplyDelete
  5. just popping by to say Happy New Year! I hope you can update us again soon about the goings on over there!

    ReplyDelete